Pluto TV Co-Founder Launches Telly, the Ultimate Free Television Upgrade for the Living Room
May 15, 2023 | PR Newswire
- Telly aims to revolutionize the advertising and marketing industry by offering a free 55" 4K HDR television that is fully subsidized by advertisers.
- Advertisers can leverage the connected TV ad market and engage consumers with greater control and interactivity without disrupting the TV viewing experience.
Telly, a company that developed the first Dual Screen Smart TV, has emerged from stealth and introduced a groundbreaking free 55" 4K HDR television with an integrated second smart screen. The TV combines cinematic picture quality with a separate built-in Smart Screen seamlessly integrated with a premium sound bar. Telly aims to revolutionize the industry's business model by enabling advertisers to fully subsidize the cost of the TV for the consumer, and deliver it completely for free. The company has opened reservations for the first 500,000 free units, set to be shipped this summer. Telly intends to transform the living room into a truly Smart TV, offering features like a smart screen, video calling, video games, music, voice assistant, and fitness programs.
- Read the full article from PRNewswire
Google I/O and the Coming AI Battles
Monday, May 15, 2023 | Stratechery
- Google's hybrid approach to generative AI and search involves placing generated text at the top for non-commercial searches and prioritizing ads for commercial searches, aiming to strike a balance between AI capabilities and the profitability of search ads.
Google's February keynote in Paris was seen as a panicked response to Microsoft's GPT-powered Bing announcement. The presentation was poorly executed, but it highlighted Google's struggle with AI, despite the company's historical focus on the technology. However, Google managed to combine its AI capabilities with urgency and aggressiveness at the Google I/O event, demonstrating its determination to respond to the threat. Google introduced generative AI into its search results, with ads still receiving top billing for commercial searches. This approach was seen as more compelling than Microsoft's Bing Chat integration. The use of generative AI in search poses challenges and opportunities for Google's business model. AI is considered a sustaining technology for all of Big Tech, including Google, but the disruptive potential of generative AI in search remains. AI is seen as a sustaining innovation rather than a Technological Revolution, and Google's launch of Bard, its ChatGPT competitor, faced regulatory concerns in Europe and Canada.
- Read the full article from Stratechery
How marketers should rethink digital ad channels, based on our forecast data
May 16, 2023 | eMarketer
- Search advertising is growing slower due to a "gloomy outlook for Google." Retail media will support search growth with a rate of 18.7%.
- Retail media is the only metric where digital ad spending will accelerate, reaching $45.15 billion this year. Amazon dominates retail media but will see a declining market share.
Total media ad spending in the US is predicted to reach over $350 billion this year, with a slow growth rate of 3.8%. Traditional media ad spend will decrease by 6.3%, while digital ad spend is set to surpass $260 billion for the first time. Display advertising is projected to grow by 7.9%, driven by connected TV (CTV) at 21.2% growth, while social media ad spend will only increase by 3.4%. Retail media is expected to experience substantial growth at 18.7%. The dominance of the Google-Meta duopoly in the digital ad market may be challenged by Amazon in the future.
- Read the full article from eMarketer