The latest on TikTok advertising opportunities.
With all the platforms available to add in your digital strategy, why is TikTok a viable option for your media budget?
If you aren’t familiar with TikTok, it’s an app that enables users to be part of internet dance-based challenges. TikTok, formally known as Musical.ly, encourages creativity in the form of a 15 second video – although users can create and share 60-second stories. Like videos from Vine and Instagram Stories, TikTok videos are vertical and made for mobile. You can engage with users through “hearts”, which are essentially the same as “likes”. The app should seem pretty intuitive and simple if you’ve logged time in other social media platforms.
Who Uses TikTok?
The short-form video mobile app is a growing platform amongst the Gen Z audience, with nearly 1.5 billion downloads of the app in total. This platform is still new to allowing ads in Canada, making it easier for brands to stand out.
According to eMarketer, TikTok’s US user base will grow 21.9% in 2020 to 45.4 million people. By 2021, it will surpass 50 million (52.2 million). This follows 97.5% growth in 2019.
As a brand, you can can create your own channel, just like YouTube, and post relevant videos or work with TikTok influencers to spread your content to specific audiences. Additionally, you can advertise on TikTok just as you can through other social platforms.
Available Advertising Options
- Topview Takeover: Top View evolves the Brand Takeover concept, and combines with the first in-feed position. After :03s, video seamlessly becomes the first in-feed post.
- In-Feed Video Ads: 5-15 seconds long - full-screen – clickable – Sound On video experiences. Combination of Sound and full-screen driving CTRs between 1-3%. Run :06-:15 sound-on video ads in the “For You” homepage feed. Ads have customized CTA buttons that click out to external landing page.
- Super Like Feature Ads: An innovative ad format that delights and surprises users by rewarding the ‘Like’ behavior on brands ad. When users hit the ‘Like’ button, full-screen floating hearts with branded elements are triggered and displayed
Current Buying Options
- Managed: Hotspex will negotiate deals on your behalf
- Coming Soon to Canada: Self-Serve platform to bid on inventory programmatically
- TikTok is opening its platform to third-party adtech vendors, striking a partnership with The Trade Desk to offer its inventory via private marketplaces (PMPs) across Asia-Pacific.
- TikTok inventory will be limited to PMPs for now, with Open RTB coming later.